Saturday, August 29, 2009

Great feedback from a TWOM reader

A reader wrote the following to me today:

"Steve,

Thought I’d write my thoughts on Day 25 of your book, particularly the Action Points section.

Your comments about Jesus being comfortable and able to minister to/feel comfortable with people in any socio-economic class are so true. And this is where I struggle so much. During our ‘missionary days’, I had a definite problem with prejudice/bad attitudes toward wealthy people, even though many of them were our main financial supporters. I also had a bad attitude toward some of our co-missionaries that were better funded than we were.

That’s all behind me now, but I’m in a different situation now. I feel as if I am between (wealthier customers), for whom I manage their property, and our small staff , who are definitely on the opposite world of income and lifestyle. While our more direct contact is with our staff and our ("average" customers), we are in contact with the more wealthy (customers) too. . . .

The extreme differences in these two classes of people makes me wonder and try and understand more thoroughly how Jesus did that so effectively, and how I can be better at relating to both classes of people. To top it off, we do live in a nice place. . . and by all appearances we fall into the more wealthy category, particularly in this area of the U.S. where unemployment is high and average income is low."

Here was my reply to the reader:

Those are 2 great examples that you've personally experienced. I'm sure there are many more reasons than we'll ever know (this side of heaven) as to why/how Jesus was able to do that, but to me, 1 thing stands out: Jesus looked at people's hearts. We, on the other hand, typically look at their outward appearances and their "stuff."

In 1 Samuel 16:7, we find that even Samuel the great prophet (who heard God's voice audibly!) made that mistake when he was finding Israel's 2nd king. One thing I try to pray often is to see people as God sees them ("Open the eyes of my heart, Lord.") I want to see Him, but I also want to have the discernment from Him that will minister to whomever he brings across my path.

And as I say in the book, ministry is defined as "bringing someone closer to where they need to be, which is closer to God." I can't tell you how many wealthy people I've prayed with about their problems, which demonstrates that their needs to be closer to God are just as great as the needs of poor and middle class people. Besides, if money solved everything, there wouldn't be any messed-up people in Hollywood or Wall Street, would there?

Blessings,
Steve

Thanks to all of you for your support, and "keep those cards and letters comin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment